Vanilla Sugar Cookies
1 C (226g ) salted butter at room temp
1 C (198g ) granulated sugar
1 large egg (room temp)
1/4 tsp ( 2g ) baking powder
2 tsp ( 8.4g ) Vanilla extract
3 C ( 360g ) all purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
2. Add egg, mix until completely incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl whisk to combine flour and baking powder, then sift. With mixer on low add this to butter mixture in small batches. Mix until just combined. Make sure the dough is the right consistency. The dough should hold together easily but not be sticky or dry and crumbly.
4. Transfer dough to work surface and divide in half, shape into flattened disc’s. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least one hour or overnight. Dough should be cool but not cold, let rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes prior to use.
5. Roll dough out to 1/8-1/4 inch thickness on either a floured surface, parchment or silpat.
6. Cut dough into desired shapes and transfer to baking sheets lined with parchment.
7. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are crisp and lightly golden at the edges, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer cookies on parchment to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cookies can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.